A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Gift from St. Scholastica


For my birthday a few weeks ago, my boyfriend had given me a lovely St. Scholastica medal! However, since Scholastica isn't exactly on the "hot" list of Saints, he had to order it online so it was brand new and unblessed. I said to him at the time "the only thing I need now is to have a Benedictine bless it!" But where on earth was I to get a Benedictine, unless a Benedictine came to me?

St. Scholastica heard my prayer! Right out of the blue today, I received an e-mail notifying me that Fr. Fred Byrne of St. Vincent Archabbey, PA was visiting ND today to give a talk on Benedictine spirituality. I wasn't able to stay for the talk, but he was very kind and was able to bless my medal with his holy water. He was also very excited that I have a devotion to his Order's Holy Mother Scholastica!

Thus, our dear St. Scholastica has proven to be a wonderful intercessor and friend!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love St. Scholastica.

One day I suggested to my sister--who hopes to join the Benedictines--that she take the name Scholastica. She replied she would do so only if I took the name Benedict--which of course would imply that I was entering the religious life like she wants me to.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>