A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Monday, March 27, 2006

St. Therese "Comic Book"


"Chiara" fans, I'm sorry that I haven't blogged in a while...I was quite ill last week and haven't been in the best of spirits of late. However, I've been remiss in not posting, especially after some of the nice things that I bought during my last trip to Chicago two weekends ago!

As I mentioned in my last post, I was looking in the children's section of Pauline Books, and found this
St. Therese "comic book" (graphic novel, if you want to be more technical about it).

As you might surmise, it covers in very nicely illustrated form the very short life of St. Therese. Thus, if you're not up for reading "Story of a Soul" all in one take, this is much more feasible. Being that it is written at about a 6th-grade reading level, this little book can be enjoyed by people of all ages and is a great introduction to the life of this beautiful Saint. In fact, I'd say it's a bit more in-depth than Therese, last year's theatre-release biopic.

I initially picked up this comic book as light reading while I was sick, and I'm ultimately glad that I chose to do so- being that I had quite a heavy cough, I almost felt as if dear Therese was helping me to offer my suffering up to Christ. Also, after I read this little book, I decided to begin to read Story of a Soul - I can't very well have a blog on contemplative nuns and not have read that book! Thus, more reflections on Story of a Soul to come.

And now for the part that I'm really excited about....supposedly this comic book is part of a series that Pauline Books publishes....and they have one on St. Clare! I just ordered the last copy off of Amazon.com five minutes ago, so I'll be anticipating its arrival in the week to come!

Pax et Bonum to everyone!

-
Chiara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>