A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Monday, December 26, 2005

A Love That Will Need All The Love You Can Give




So I had my meeting with the Mother Abbess of the Poor Clare Monastery! I won't go into alot of detail, but we talked about finding vocational direction- which, for me, will take quite some time. I also confessed to her that I'm infatuated with the Poor Clares (well, if you can't tell from this blog!) and she agreed with me that I probably am- but she told me that it was alright. What really matters is the feeling that remains when the infatuation period is over- just like with an actual person! Overall, she is a wonderfully wise lady and gave me very sound spiritual advice. We gave each other an "air hug" when the meeting was over!

So the night after that I received sound advice from a Benedictine Lady Abbess in the form of a song! Well, I didn't personally talk to a Benedictine Abbess, but I was watching The Sound of Music, which features an Abbey of wonderful Benedictine nuns in Austria. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the story, but the scene that had the greatest impact on me was when Maria returns to the Abbey in the second half of the film out of her fear of her growing feelings for the Captain. The Mother Abbess senses her discomfort and advises her to return to the Von Trapp house and pursue the man she loves. She tells this to Maria in the form of a song called Climb Ev'ry Mountain, which has alot to say about pursuing any vocation. The lyrics are below, and my favorite line of the song is highlighted below:

MOTHER ABBESS:

Climb every mountain
Search high and low
Follow every byway
Every path you know

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream

A dream that will need
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream

A dream that will need
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite song was Maria. :) However it was a very inspirational movie all over. Just keep saying to yourself, "I have confidence..." (Love the blog!)

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>