A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope that you all experienced the joy of the Irish today!

My dad and I were just watching a segment on the History Channel about the Irish in America, which reminded me how the Irish people in this country exemplified the hope, joy, and endurance of the Catholic faith. I simply had to thank God for making me part Irish! At my graduation from Notre Dame in 2006, the keynote speaker and President of Ireland Mary McAleese delivered a wonderful speech about the endurance and hope of the Irish. You can read this address by following this link.

In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, I also wanted to share with you the link to one of my favorite Poor Clare websites- the Poor Clares of Galway, Ireland. Their website epitomizes in a very Irish was the joyful simplicity of Poor Clare life.

Erin Go Bragh! (Ireland Forever!)

2 Comments:

Blogger mcm said...

Dear me, but actually, today is Monday in Holy Week, which suppresses the feast of St. Patrick in most places. So, me being zero percent Irish, no green for me this year! Erin go blarney!

Interestingly enough, the bishops of Ireland got special permission to move the feast to last Saturday there (and thus bumped St. Joseph's to a day earlier). By the normal liturgical rules, where St. Patrick is a "solemnity" in the Paul VI rite and 1st Class in the traditional Latin rite, it would be transferred to the first available day after Divine Mercy / Low Sunday ... which would make it April 1st (as March 31st will be this year's Feast of the Annunciation in both calendars).

12:21 AM  
Blogger Kelly Joyce Neff said...

Somerset, my dear fellow,
Pardon the form of address, as you are obviously from Blighty by the tone of your commentary on the National Holiday.

St Patrick's Day was celebrated in Ireland on the Monday in Ireland, at least in Dublin, at least from what I heard on Irish radio all the live-long day.

It was here too, as I ought to know well, it being the nativity of myself and twin sister. Leave our good Chiara alone and stop being such a spoilsport, mate.

Nar lagai Dia do lamh!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>