A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Feast of Saint Colette!

Many of you may not be familiar with Saint Colette of Corbie, one of my favorite Saints- other 14th and 15th Century such as St. Vincent Ferrer and Joan of Arc have been more famous throughout the ages. However, Saint Colette is a very important Saint, as she is the co-foundress of my beloved Poor Clare Colettines.

The story of Colette's life has personal significance for me, since I've recently been filled with much uncertainty about my direction in life. When she was a young adult, Colette also went through a time in her life when she has trouble discerning God's plan for her. For instance, Colette spent time at several different monasteries before deciding that God wanted her to reform the Poor Clares, and experienced frustration along each step of the way. However, throughout her discernment process, she learned to put God's will above her own desires and approach her search patiently and prayerfully. Here are two prayers by St. Colette that illustrate her desire to place God at the center of her discernment:


The Dedication Prayer of Saint Colette

O Blessed Jesus,I dedicate myself to You
in health,
in illness,
in my life,
in my death,
in all my desires,
in all my deeds.
So that,I may never work henceforth
except for Your glory,for the salvation of souls,and for that which
You have chosen me.
From this moment on, dearest Lord,
there is nothingwhich I am not prepared
to undertake for love of You.

LIFT UP YOUR HEARTS…

Let us always regret
that we have but one heart
with which to love God,
and that this heart is so poor and weak.
But such as it is,
God asks it of us!
Let us give it to Him
Constantly and completely.
Let Him have this poor heart
for time and eternity.

In a world where so many young adults seek immediate answers, we can surely learn from the young Saint Colette's patience, perseverence, and trust in God as she tried to figure out His plan for her. In the spirit of Saint Colette, I'd like to share with you all one of my favorite prayers, written by the late Thomas Merton:


Thomas Merton's Prayer of Trust

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Happy Feast Day, Saint Colette! Please pray for us!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chiara said...

Just a note: I have been discerning with the Poor Clare Colettines in Cleveland OH for a few years and have visited them twice and I hope to enter when my house sells. The Abbess, Mother Mary Jude, has told me the feast day of St. Colette moved to Feb 7 and that is when they celebrate it. I love your blog dedicated to St. Clare! Thanks, Mary

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>