A joyfully Franciscan view of Catholic life, inspired by St. Clare (Santa Chiara) of Assisi!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Chiara Offreduccio (St. Clare) was born in 1194. It is said that when her mother had Chiara in her womb, an angel appeared to her and said, "your child will be a light that will illuminate the world!" Hence, her mother named the child Chiara, which means "light. As G.K. Chesterton put it, St. Clare was a romantic figure just like Juliet was. However, instead of running away from her family in order to be with an earthly man, Clare gave up everything and ran away from her family for the love of her Savior!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

THE FEAST OF ST. ANTHONY OF PADUA!






HAPPY FEAST OF ST. ANTHONY!



I hope that each one of you all have the chance to celebrate the feast day of this wonderful Saint in your own special way. Why is St. Anthony one of my favorite Saints? In addition to his inspiring life, which is certainly a lesson as to how to offer up feelings of loneliness and disappointment, St. Anthony is probably the most powerful intercessory Saint I've come across. Not only is he wonderful at helping me find lost keys, sunglasses, papers, etc., but his intercession is very powerful in spiritual matters as well. For instance, whenever I start to feel overly timid, I say the powerful "St. Anthony's Brief" to myself:


Behold the cross of the Lord!
Fly, ye powers of darkness!
Jesus, the Lion of the Tribe of Judah
Jesus, the Root of David
Has Conquered
Alleluia!

Begone Satan!


St. Anthony is also a very powerful intercessor for overcoming feelings of inadequacy that might overtake us at times. For that purpose, here are some prayers that might help:


SHORT PRAYERS TO ST. ANTHONY


SAINT ANTHONY, RESTORER OF SPEECH TO THE MUTE
Dear St. Anthony, how tongue-tied I can be when I should be praising God and defending the oppressed. My cowardice often strikes me dumb; I am afraid to open my mouth. St. Anthony, Restorer of Speech to the Mute, release me from my fears. Teach me to praise God and to champion the rights of those unjustly treated. Please remember also all my intentions.


[Name them.] SAINT ANTHONY, CONSOLER OF THE AFFLICTED Dear St. Anthony, comforting the sorrowful is a Christian duty and a work of mercy. By word, attitude, and deed I should try to brighten their days and make their burden easier to bear. St. Anthony, Consoler of the Afflicted, may I remember when helping someone in sorrow that I am helping Christ Himself. Kindly mention my pressing needs to Him. [Name your special intentions].


SAINT ANTHONY MARTYR OF DESIRE
Dear St. Anthony, thou didst become a Franciscan with the hope of shedding thy blood for Christ. In God's plan for thee, thy thirst for Martyrdom was never to be satisfied. St. Anthony, Martyr of Desire, pray that I may become less afraid to stand up and be counted as a follower of the Lord Jesus. Intercede also for my other intentions.
[Name them.]


SAINT ANTHONY, PERFORMER OF MIRACLES
Dear St. Anthony, thy prayers obtained miracles during thy lifetime. Thou still seemest to move at ease in the realm of minor and major miracles. St. Anthony, Performer of Miracles, please obtain for me the blessings God holds in reserve who serve Him. Pray that I may be worthy of the promises my Lord Jesus attaches to confident prayer.
[Mention your special intentions.]


PRAYER TO ST. ANTHONY FOR LOST ARTICLESDear Saint Anthony, thou art the patron of the poor and the helper of all who seek lost articles. Help me to find the object I have lost so that I will be able to make better use of the time I will gain for God's greater honor and glory. Grant thy gracious aid to all people who seek what they have lost-----especially those who seek to regain God's grace. Amen.


Finally, it's important to remember that even when we don't have any intentions in particular, St. Anthony always loves it when we pray to him as our intercessor before Our Lord whom he loved so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>